The oral microbiome is both highly abundant and highly diverse in bacteria, as well as other microbes such as viruses, fungi, and archaea. The oral microbiome interacts with the host, while also having many influences from the surrounding environment. Since this microbiome is so transient in nature, to capture the oral microbiome it is imperative to stabilise the snapshot until it arrives in our lab. Depending on the nature of your study, we have experience working with several workflows to best suit your needs.
Our expertise includes:
- Advanced extraction methods for consideration of particularly robust microbes in the system
- Total bacterial quantification via qPCR to initially assess the amplification of bacteria in each sample
- rRNA gene sequencing to determine, at a high level, the role of various microbes
- Shotgun metagenome sequencing for a higher resolution of both taxonomic and functional outputs
- Bioinformatic reporting with a firm understanding of advanced analysis
Services we offer:
- rRNA Gene Sequencing of 16S, 18S, ITS2 and archaeal V4-V5
- Total Bacterial Quantification via qPCR (quantitative PCR) for total bacterial content
- Shotgun Metagenome Sequencing
DRY SWABS: For dry swabs we recommend using the Becton-Dickinson, BBL CultureSwab EZ II which includes a double-swab encased in a rigid non-breathable transport tube. For all other dry swabs make sure to keep the wrapper for transport to our lab. It is recommended to use two swabs (or one BD DBL CultureSwab II) to maximize your DNA content per sampling session. Samples should be stored in the -80 (preferably not the -20) and shipped to our lab on dry ice; overnight or two day shipping.
DEVICES WITH BUFFER: Both Norgen Biotek and DNA Genotek Inc. are manufacturers of biological specimen collection devices that incorporate a lytic stabilization buffer for storage at ambient temperature. See the Resources section below for a quick link to the recommended kits (for collection from human and animal donors). Please refer to each manufacturer for more details on shelf life and stability. Samples collected in these devices can be stored at room temperature and need not be shipped on dry ice.. Please refer to each manufacturer for more detail on shelf life and stability. Samples collected in these devices can be stored at room temperature and need not be shipped on dry ice.